Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Horchata!



This is such an awesome drink. It's a type of a Mexican 'Aqua Fresca'. I recommend it to everyone! It is a must try for the summer. I was told it taste like rice pudding. I'm not a fan of milk so I never had rice pudding but I'm sure it taste similar because it's made from rice and has vanilla and cinnamon in the mix. So enjoy this drink while there is still hot weather. I promise you will be hooked like I am. This recipe calls for the rice to sit over night. So it is not something you can whip up right away. I tend to make it during get togethers. I actually look forward to get togethers for this reason! :) Stay Cool everyone!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of long grain white rice
1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 cup of blanched almonds
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cups of water
3/4 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla


Directions:
Place uncooked rice in a blender. Blend until powdery. In a bowl combine blended rice, 1 1/4 cups of warm water, almonds, and the 2 cinnamon sticks. Cover and let it sit at room temperature overnight. Transfer mix to a blender. Add two cups of the 4 cups of water and blend until smooth. Line a fine mesh strainer with some cheesecloth and pour the rice mixture through it. Squeeze the remaining liquid into the bowl and throw away the solids. Pour the liquid into a pitcher or large bowl and add the remaining 2 cups of water, sugar, and vanilla. Serve immediately over ice. Garnish with a bit of cinnamon powder! Enjoyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*FYI* You can store this in the fridge up to 3 days before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment