Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crockpot Chili with Crockpot cornbread

So I know I haven't been on in a while..I've been quite busy. However, I always make time to cook. I'v been using my crockpot quite often because I find it convienant to just drop whatever I like into the pot in the morning, go out and run errands, then when i come back home I have a warm meal waiting for me.

This is one of the chili's I like to make. I just recently began cooking cornbread on top. Let me just say, I will never make chili without cornbread dumplings ontop. Its delicious, sweet, and moist.

This is a must try. It's super easy..and delicious!

Ingredients for this chili:

1 can pureed tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 chopped onion
3 chopped chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce in can (you can find this in a small can in the spanish section of your supermarket)
3tspns of the adobo sauce from the chipotle chili pepper can
2 tablespoons of cumin (you can add more or else..but without it, the sauce will not taste like chili)
2 tablespoons of chili powder
2 tablespoons of paprika or smoked paprika
1 large red pepper chopped
2 teaspoons of onion powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of red pepper powder
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar (white or brown is fine. also you can add more if you like depending on how sweet you like your chili)
1/2 package of ground beef
1 can of black beans (washed and drained)
1 can of red beans (washed and drained)
1/4 cups of water
1/2 a package of steamed corn (you can leave this out..but I like the sweetness it brings to the chili)



After a couple of hours, it will look like this..






This is the brand of steam corn I like to use for pretty much all the recipe's I make with corn.



This is the brand of cronbread mixture I like to use. Follow the instructions (1/3 cups of milk, 1 egg (I use two egg whites instead because it makes the corn bread more moist), and the mixture). I add in the other half of the packaged steam corn to this. You can omit this, but once again, I like it because it add more texture and sweetness.


Once your done mixing the corn bread mixture drop spoonfuls into the crockpot right over your chili. Let the chili and cornbread cook for 45 minutes or so. You can check to see if the cornbread is cooked thoroughly by placing a toothpick or nice through it. If it comes out clean with no batter on it then it is cooked!!.

I don't have a picture of the final product but next time I create this dish I'll be sure to place it on this blog!.. It may not look beautiful in the end..but dont worry!! It will be delicious. YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH THE CROCKPOT!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment