Monday, October 4, 2010

Tortilla Soup

I know I haven't been around in a while. School is getting the best of me, and well, it should. However, I have not stopped cooking. Did I mention it is now FALL?! This is my favorite time of the year. I now have the excuse to make all these comfort foods! Plus, it's also football season. So I get to make my favorites like chili, enchiladas, baked ziti just to name a few.

I'm going to share my Tortilla Soup Recipe today. I wanted to make something hearty and meatless and yet healthy at the same time. Me and my boyfriend have been hitting the gym hard everyday so I try to make things during the weekdays that are light, saving the meats & carbs for the weekends. This Mexican soup is perfect for the fall. So if your looking for a recipe that will warm you up, please your stomach, and not add inches to your waste.. TRY THIS SOUP!! It is super fast and super easy to make.

Sorry that I will not be providing a picture with this post. I was not planning to be making posts for a while and therefore took a break with the camera. If you have never had tortilla soup, you can get an idea of what it looks like by typing it into a search engine.

This dish serves 4 people.

Ingredients
1 cup of frozen yellow corn
1 can of black beans washed cleaned
1 can of organic diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 of an onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
half a can of tomato paste
olive oil
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 pinch of cumin
1 teaspoon of the sauce from chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
salt
5 cups of organic, low sodium chicken broth
1 lime
tortilla chips
shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
Sautee onions & garlic in olive oil with chili and cumin powder and a pinch of salt for 2 minutes on low heat. Add tomato paste and adobo sauce. mix well for a minute over the low heat. Add your can of diced tomatoes and mix well over low heat for 3 minutes. Add your chicken stock. Stir all the ingredients together and raise the heat to medium so everything simmers together. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes then add your black beans and frozen corn. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Once that's completed, turn the heat off and squeeze lime juice all around the soup but don't blend. You can skip this step and serve with a lime wedge.

Serve the bowl with crumbled tortilla chips topped with sharp cheddar cheese..and VIOLA! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment